Last couple of years have seen a great surge in number of webmasters migrating to cloud hosting providers. Amazon AWS and Lightsail have emerged as two of the most sought after platforms for hosting the websites. However, a lot of users find it difficult to perform some of the needed tasks.
One such issue faced by a lot of AWS and Lightsail users is the visibility of bitnami banner on wordpress sites. AWS has bitnami powered wordpress at its marketplace. After installation, bitnami banner shows up at the right bottom of wordpress, which seems annoying to a lot of webmasters. This issue also arises for webmasters installing wordpress on Google Cloud platform.
In this tutorial, I am going to talk about how can webmasters remove the bitnami banner from wordpress.
1. Using Command Line SSH Interface
- To begin with, login to your AWS or Lightsail account.
- Navigate to your instance page and click on connect to instance via ssh.
- Lightsail instances connect within browser whereas for AWS, there are two options, select browser connection.
- Type the command in the screen you see on your browser
sudo /opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/bnconfig --disable_banner 1
- This command lets you disable the bitnami banner from wordpress.
- If you still see the banner on your homepage, you will need to restart apache from the same command line ssh interface.
- You can restart apache using the command below
sudo /opt/bitnami/ctlscript.sh restart apache
- Once done, you can now close the ssh screen and refresh the website page. The banner has now been disabled. 🙂
2. Using CSS file within wordpress dashboard
- Using CSS editing is one of the simplest ways to disable the bitnami banner. However, this will need to be done manually everytime you change your theme on wordpress.
- Add the below line to custom CSS file
- Update the file and refresh the website. The bitnami banner has now been disabled
3. Using filezilla
- Bitnami banner can also be removed using an FTP client like filezilla.
- Navigate to /opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/conf and open the httpd-app.conf
- Locate the line Include “/opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/conf/banner.conf”
- You can either delete the above line or convert it into a comment by adding # at the beginning.
- Once done, upload the file back to the server and refresh your page. The banner does not show up anymore.
These are the 3 ways, using which, you can remove the bitnami banner from wordpress installed using one-click installations on the AWS marketplace. You can get more details about bitnami banner from https://docs.bitnami.com/general/components/bninfo/.
If you are facing any issues, feel free to let me know in the comment section and I will try my best to solve it asap. Also, do leave your comments about how you find our tutorials and suggestions if you think there is a need for us to improve.